Plenary Session 6:
AAHS Presidential Invited Lecture: The Magic Power of TOUCH
• Touch plays an important role in our lives.
• It starts with its influence on infants and children. It has been shown to have a positive effect during pregnancy as well.
• It has also a great influence on many disease conditions such as Arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia, and even cancer.
• Will discuss the touch pathway from the skin level to our cerebral cortex.
• Discuss the new advances in restoring some touch sense to artificial limbs.
• Discuss the roles of hand surgeons and therapists in helping to restore touch to patients and amputees.
- Understand the importance of touch to the human development and how touch can have a positive influence on many disease conditions including cancer, arthritis, and depression.
- Understand the mechanism by which touch signals reaches our brains.
- Get to know the new advances in the effort to restore touch ability to artificial limbs and the role of hand surgeons and therapists in restoration of this very important sense.
Innovations in Surgery and Rehabilitation for Complicated Elbow Fractures
Complicated elbow fractures can be difficult for both surgeons and therapists to treat. This session focuses on innovations in surgery and rehabilitation for complicated elbow fractures. New surgical techniques such as hemiarthroplasty will be described along with why certain surgical techniques are chosen and what outcomes can be expected. Rehabilitation of a post surgical elbow fracture requires a close partnership with the surgeon in order to understand the surgical technique used, if there was nerve involvement, and if certain precautions are required. Clinical pearls to elbow rehabilitation will be described including why thinking about the anatomy of the elbow is so important for obtaining better outcomes. Case studies will be presented that demonstrate successful surgeon and therapist collaboration and evidence will be presented that supports clinical decisions.
- Attendee will be able to describe innovative surgical techniques for managing complicated elbow fractures.
- Attendee will understand how evidence supports clinical decisions when treating the complicated elbow fracture.
- Attendee will be able to discuss techniques used for rehabilitating complicated elbow fractures.